Chocolate pecan pie is one of the richest, most delicious and decadent desserts. A variant of the pecan pie, this delightful concoction is made by baking a mix of pecans, chocolate, eggs, and sugar syrup or honey over a pie crust.
And because today is officially Chocolate Pecan Pie Day, it’s appropriate that we put a regional spin on this traditional recipe. To celebrate this day—and let’s be quite honest: any day is a good day to celebrate chocolate and pecans—we’re sharing an absolutely divine pie recipe that incorporates chocolate, pecans, and [drumroll, please] bourbon!
Kentucky Chocolate Bourbon Pecan Pie
- 3 extra large eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 cup dark corn syrup
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla
- ¼ cup bourbon
- ½ cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup whole pecans
- One 10 inch pie tin, lined with all purpose pastry, unbaked
All purpose pastry
- 1 ½ cup all purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 ½ sugar
- ½ cup very cold unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 2 extra large egg yolks, lightly beaten
- ¼ ice water
1) Make the all purpose pastry.
2) Combine the flour, salt, and sugar in a mixing bowl.
3) Cut the butter into the flour mixture until the mixture resembles coarse meal.
4) Gradually add egg yolks and ice water until a ball of dough is formed (do not overwork the dough).
5) Wrap the dough and chill for 30 minutes before rolling out.
6) When the dough is chilled, roll out to about 1/8 inch thickness on a lightly floured surface.
7) Roll out the dough two inches larger than the pan it is intended to be used for.
8) Place the dough in the pan.
9) Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
10) In a mixing bowl beat eggs, sugar, butter, corn syrup, vanilla and bourbon.
11) Strain this mixture into another bowl.
12) Sprinkle the chocolate chips on the bottom of the unbaked pie shell.
13) Cover with pecans.
14) Pour the filling on top of the chocolate and pecans.
15) Bake for 35 to 40 minutes in the preheated oven.
16) The pie is cooked when you are able to insert a knife into the pie, two inches off the side of the pie, and the knife comes out clean.
17) Let cool for at least 30 minutes before serving.